Blade Runner?

Phoenix

So, I fell asleep watching the first Blade Runner a few years back. The sequel, Blade Runner 2049, is getting rave reviews. The sequel's director, Denis Villeneuve, previously helmed the excellent Arrival and is planning a new Dune adaptation next, which has me very excited. Blade Runner 2049 also has Hans Zimmer on the score, so I'm certainly interested.

Should I give the original another shot?

• Like 1

The original is very good. I would give it another shot just so that you have the full background for the new one coming out. I assume they made it so that folks who haven't seen the original can easily follow along, but I always prefer to have seen an original before a sequel. Also: which version did you try watching? So many have been released that you may have just ended up watching a bad cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Spyder said:

The original is very good. I would give it another shot just so that you have the full background for the new one coming out. I assume they made it so that folks who haven't seen the original can easily follow along, but I always prefer to have seen an original before a sequel. Also: which version did you try watching? So many have been released that you may have just ended up watching a bad cut.

I concur. Great film. :) 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finally got around to it. I've never been one for film noir (nor Ridley Scott), probably explaining why I didn't get much into it. Or it might just be that some of the sci-fi in this era was just plain weird (i.e., the first Star Trek film or Dune). The older reviews seem to focus on the visual design though, which is definitely amazing. It's also interesting to look at old visions of the future--this one has the flying cars and off-world travel, but at the same time, there's few miniaturized electronics and newspapers feel anachronistic.

This didn't have me raring to go out and see the new one in a theater, but I'll probably check it out next year.

• Like 1