Difficulty enjoying things

Phoenix

Difficulty enjoying new things or things once liked is a classic symptom of major depressive disorder, and I get it bad. It's popped up again today--I tried no fewer than three video games, a book, and sports, and couldn't get into ANY of it. I feel like I'm halfway lying when I participate in the "what are you reading/watching" threads because someone could ask me about it a month later and I'll be like "oh that? I read like a chapter."

So yeah, if I do that, this is why, heh.

I find myself suffering from this from time to time. Usually it's during winter, when there isn't as much daylight during the time of day that I'm awake. Feels like I suffer from anhedonia off and on until the days start getting longer. But it's not limited to that, just more prevalent. Everything seems like it's simply going through the motions, doing what I'm supposed to do on the daily for the sake of doing it rather than finding any happiness in having done it. 

One thing I didn't mention is that my depressive episodes tend to sneak up on me. I don't actually realize I'm depressed until I've been down for days. In an effort to try to head these off, I've been told to identify signs of being depressed, and not enjoying things is one of them.

Today I'm in a full-blown episode. I'm so hesitant to draw causation so quickly, but it really does seem like this is a clear indicator. It's been several times now that I've had the lack of interest start a few days before an episode hit.

:hug:You've found a sign at least.  We'll be here to listen. And as this is a first for you to actually spot the signs. Why not post here each time you recognize it and then not only do you get use to knowing what they are and why.  I think there are also time stamps on each post so that you can track time between each one or recognize what had happen to cause each one. 

Either way if there is a way we can help, post it.