Day 1, Again

hirondelle

So thanks to your inspiration and support, I am trying once again to fix myself.  My fat mess of a body and my shitty relationship with food and exercise.  This time I am trying low carb.  I have dialled in 30/40/30 macros, but today I am way off 11/45/44 and stupidly under on calories - I am not even willing to admit how few calories I had according to MFP.... I just hope the omelette I had for breakfast was actually more than the one I chose in the damn app.  I just don't know what else to eat.  But I managed to keep the carbs low lmao. 

Question: Can you suggest protein snacks... aside from boiled eggs which get boring fast. 

Sorry rambling but today is day 1, again.  Starting weight is 180lbs. First target is under 170lbs by Christmas.  Should be easy right?

• Like 4
  • Love 2

When I first started losing weight, it took 2 months to even START losing weight.  It was terrible and I cried a lot.  But I stuck with it, and eventually I started losing. 

I guess my point is keep at it even if you don't see progress right away.  You'll get there! :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Kenai said:

When I first started losing weight, it took 2 months to even START losing weight.  It was terrible and I cried a lot.  But I stuck with it, and eventually I started losing. 

I guess my point is keep at it even if you don't see progress right away.  You'll get there! :)

What you mean I might not be slim tomorrow?!?! Oh FFS! :cranky:

lol yeah I realise this is going to be a long slow journey.  I actually want it to be slow.  But yeah I made the Christmas benchmark just because I read it is good to have short, medium and long term goals.  If I don't hit it I will keep going anyway.  Just keep cheering me along ok?

• Like 3

You could make your own protein energy balls? Then you can keep the sugar count down. I suppose it depends on what ingredients you can get there? 

Also, my cousin is doing a naturopathic course - basically natural nutrition and healing, absolutely fascinating - and says one of the most misunderstood things about hunger is that we aren't actually hungry. We're thirsty and dehydrated. Most human beings are chronically dehydrated. I made an effort to drink more water after that, but infuse it with lemon slices and ginger. Yummy and a massive boost to my immune system. 

If I come across other high protein snacks, I'll send them your way. :hug:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Yes @fox sent me a booklet thing with some proteiny snack items. I just have to get my hand started on some of the ingredients. After I posted this I remember I have some strawberry protein powder... so I made a shake. Nasty but t will do until I have had the chance to buy all the tings.

Water wise I drink a lot. If I drink anymore I just pee all night haha. I don't think that's my problem.  I wasn't actually hungry today. My problem is I eat my feelings.... all of them, happy? Celebrate with food! Sad? Commiserate with food! Stressed? Comfort self with food. I need to retrain myself. I never really quit smoking... just replaced cigarettes with carbs.

• Like 2

For protein I would personally be having jerky a lot more often if I could, but it's so expensive. Likewise for a variety of nuts; I end up with just peanuts most of the time. I would say probably 90% of my protein intake comes from either peanuts, peanut butter, or whole meat I've processed and cooked myself (and of course, the aforementioned eggs). Unfortunately, the peanuts are, what, only 20% protein? And so calorie dense.

I haven't tried protein powders or the like yet. I don't like the concept on its face--I eat too much processed stuff as it is.

Edited by Phoenix
  • Like 1

Almonds are a favourite of mine. I usually bring a little container of almonds and raisins to work for a coffee break snack. And I make granola (I like to control sugar intake), so I make sure that is predominantly nuts and oats. And yogurt (nothing fancy, I'm into plain - always with berries/fruit and granola, though). (Note: I had to Google a protein comparison between yogurt and cottage cheese - they're so similar it's not worth noting, BUT the cottage cheese is way higher in sodium. So there's that.) Oh. And nut butters, yes! But natural (read: JUST nut, and maybe oil, in the ingredients. Not the icing sugar filled PB substances). Beyond that, Ima have to research also. And I will, because this is good for me.

I'm starting on Day One tomorrow - because I like Mondays and I'm just not going to be able to get my head in the game with this paper looming. I MUST get back to the gym. It's been a goddamn month. Blech.

Happy challenging, @hirondelle! Maybe we'll keep each other motivated? :D 

• Like 5

@hirondelle a friend of mine did a different kind of food challenge to force herself to give up the psychological attachment to food. The basic premise is that food is purely for survival - if you start to eat food for enjoyment, then you will end up over-eating and attaching emotion. So none of us really need cake (yeah I said that) but my goodness do we want it. 

She broke the psychological connection with food by going back to basics and eating really plain food. I can find the challenge if you want. It will not be fun for a little bit, but it helped her. She lost a load of weight, in the end, and was happier being unattached to food. When she explained the challenge, it made total sense. Food = survival. Nothing else. 

It's amazing what food contains unusual macro levels when you start to look at them :) 

• Like 2

And? How's it going? ...aside from a not filling enough lunch? (And I think there's a lot of trial and error in that, too. You have to know what you need to make it through the day, and how that changes depending on what you do in a day. FOR INSTANCE, I'm 100% sure I didn't bring enough to get me through the day, a gym visit, and dinner before a night class. 9_9)

• Like 2

It's going well so far @fox, my fitness pal calorie tracker is coming in a little under but I don't trust it completely. I am not eating standardised branded stuff so it is hard to too exactly your amounts. I am using it mainly to keep an eye on my macros, but still ppl don't always add quantities correctly. Anyway, aside from yesterday's lunch I am pretty satisfied and not struggling with cravings... unless I see things. Bangkok is FULL or dessert shops, cafes and bakeries. I am trying to keep myself focussed by looking at these images of sugary deliciousness as 'the man' trying to keep me poor and fat. So I walk passed with a "phuk you kirspie kreme" attitude. Let's hope it holds. 

Not sure if it is psychological but my body had been aching to move... so I walked around and stretched a lot yesterday. It is still the rainy season but that should end soon and then I will be able to walk home from work again and whatnot. 

I took some before photos but I feel a bit shy to post them. ¬¬

• Like 1

That's something I noticed when using a calorie tracker--it's so much easier to use the prepackaged stuff. But then, it's not necessarily stuff that's going to be good for you, either. I ended up striking a balance.

What I'm really struggling with is that I'm kinda of an experimental cook. I rarely end up following recipes to the letter. That's when my amounts can get all over the place.

• Like 1

Me too @Phoenixplus a lot of things in western healthy plan recipes are just not available here or you need a mortgage to buy them, so I am all about substitutions.  The one thing we do have in abundance is cheap green stuff.  So steamed greens plus [insert protein source] will take me far.  We have such an abundance of tasty veg. Admittedly most of it looks like stuff that grows at the side of the road - but I am sure it is good for you  http://www.supatra.com/pages/thaiveggies.html

• Like 1

You don't have to use the search function in myfitnesspal.  Its good for prepackaged stuff, but for homemade meals its terrible.

Go to the recipes tab, and click on the enter recipes manually button.  It'll have you name the recipe, type in every single ingredient you used as well as the amount and it'll calculate the information from there.

6 hours ago, hirondelle said:

Me too @Phoenixplus a lot of things in western healthy plan recipes are just not available here or you need a mortgage to buy them, so I am all about substitutions.  The one thing we do have in abundance is cheap green stuff.  So steamed greens plus [insert protein source] will take me far.  We have such an abundance of tasty veg. Admittedly most of it looks like stuff that grows at the side of the road - but I am sure it is good for you  http://www.supatra.com/pages/thaiveggies.html

Perfect looking produce like we have in our stores is a huge issue.  Customers won't buy it unless it looks perfect, with no blemishes, so farmers just throw away perfectly good crops that can't sell.   The sheer amount of food waste is staggering.

6 minutes ago, Kenai said:

You don't have to use the search function in myfitnesspal.  Its good for prepackaged stuff, but for homemade meals its terrible.

Go to the recipes tab, and click on the enter recipes manually button.  It'll have you name the recipe, type in every single ingredient you used as well as the amount and it'll calculate the information from there.

I do that sometimes, if it is sthg I eat often.  I should do it more.

*Hugs* Keep going you beautiful people you!

I like the different ideas and personal I have started taking a liking to simple seasoned or plain food.  There is a lot of natural flavor that we have forgotten because of masking our food.  I was even delighted when just adding black pepper to my meals brought out a salt like taste when I used freshly ground pepper.

So I guess while being good find the flavors that are healthy, to your taste and can be used to feel like your indulging with your meals and that might help too.

• Like 2

Keep going! You have totally got this. :hug:

Before photos would be good. Maybe when you don’t feel so shy about them, but maybe posting them would be the boost and motivation you need. You know none of us will judge or criticise. Just support. 

much love :heartbeat:

• Like 1