Characterisation

Redly

I'm currently trying to get my head back into writing the novel I've had planned for (too many) years. I have a rough outline of the plot, but want to now focus on the characters, making sure they are real. 

One of the ways to do this is to interview them. I thought it would be fun if other people came up with the questions and I replied as my character. 

Her name is Keelin. That's all I'm giving for now. I know some rough details, but want to hear her. Any help would be much appreciated. Your questions can be basics (where are you from, what do you do, etc) or complex, moral issues (what would you do if someone cheated on you). 

This could be interesting! 

• Like 2

Wow, that's a difficult question, right away. Um. 

I think the worst thing I've ever done is cheat on an essay. I had a friend, I can't even remember her name, help me write an essay I hadn't made time to write. We laughed and thought we were so smart. My teacher asked me about how I'd produced an essay so quickly - I guess I wasn't that smart - and I lied to her face, telling her I'd been up all night. She told my parents, still, like she knew. I'm probably not a great liar. Oh my God they were so disappointed that I might have cheated. I cried and cried. 

Since then, I've never cheated. I worked so hard after that day. I must have been about 15, maybe? I hated seeing the disappointment on my Mum and Dad's faces. 

• Haha 1

Oh for sure, that's Amy. Amy has been my rock, throughout my shitty relationship and the break-up. She totally gets all my weird habits, especially how much I love my stories. I swear, that girl buys me a new book every month. She's a real diamond. 

I can't remember exactly when we met, but we bumped into each other at the library where I work. She was volunteering at a kid's reading session, and we just instantly hit it off. We haven't known each other for many, many years, that's another friend, but we just click. I'd say she was my soul mate! That girl puts up with me in so many ways, so she does. She knows she won't hear from me often but when she does, I can be intense. I try my best not to be, for her. She has a hard enough time. 

• Love 1

Sadly, not anymore. I have just become recently single and I'm not sure I'm ready for it, to be totally honest with you. I loved having that person you could rely on completely, but then I couldn't completely rely on him. Sometimes he didn't fully understand me, and that hurt. He left, in the end. I wish I had, a long time ago. But he was the braver one. 

Oh gosh, I don't know. I think I'm quite a nice person, but sometimes people see that as being a push over. Hmm. OK, I think it's probably that I like to help others. I don't like to say no unless there's a good reason for it, and will help people I love and like if I can. I'll try and use whatever skills I have to help people in whatever way I can. 

Oh, another thing (can I have two?) - my imagination. It's a smidgen crazy and has gotten me into trouble sometimes, so it has. I'd say it's my favourite secret thing about me. I don't really share it, not properly. Only really with Amy. 

Difficult, really. I think I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm not a blubbering mess, for sure, but I feel things very acutely. Very intense. And I find I've trusted the wrong people before. Some people have called it brave? Sometimes, I kick myself for it afterwards, idiot. I think I see the good potential in most people but seem to forget that the good isn't always at the forefront, just yet. I've been hurt a few times, but just cannot seem to stop sharing my feelings. Is that normal? 

On 03/10/2017 at 11:23 PM, Kethlia said:

Physically are you where you would like to be? 

Um, I'm fit enough to run a flight of stairs and not be hanging by the time I reach the top. But I'm not marathon-fit. I'm slender and strong. I enjoy physical fitness and being outdoors, but I'm not obsessed over it. 

On 04/10/2017 at 3:40 AM, Timberwolf said:

What is the one aspect about yourself that you just can't stand?  Why can't you stand it?  Why haven't you changed it?

Oh wow, that's a difficult question. Or set of questions. 

I suppose I can't stand how easily I trust people. You'd think I'd have learned by now, but I just do. I usually end up hurt, but I have always tried to see the best in people. I guess that leads me to trust them?

I can't stand it because I end up hurting or humiliated. As I've already said, I trusted my ex and look where that got me. 

I'm not sure how I'd change it without going totally the other way and ending up never trusting anyone. That's not really what I want. I guess I've never thought about it before. Um. I still think there's good in all people. 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, Squarepeg said:

What are your goals in life? What do you want to achieve?

Real life goals or fantasy goals? Ha, if it's the latter, I'd love to live in a fairy tale. I'd like to, just once, meet the fey and see their beauty and terrible power for myself. I wish the fantasy world were real, a lot of the time. 

Real life goals, I've never really thought about them, to be totally honest with you. That's not great, is it? It was to have a lovely little place with some land and a nice community but that was with my ex and we never got there. And now, I don't really know what I want. To escape. I think that's clear. 

• Like 2