What are you working on?

Redly

I love to see what everyone else is up to, so share here! 

I'm currently working on (motivating myself to write) a series of novels that actually came out of an RPG I ran on Northlands v1.0, forever ago. In short, it's based in Faerie and digs into all the old Irish pantheon. 

• Love 3

Well it's been years, about 11, since I've done anything with it.

basically the setting is a magical modern world( not so modern maybe 1900s still trying to figure out time period) the major battles have all finished heroes roles have been established. Like always the main héroe is the ruler(haven't given him a name yet) but he rules with his family in the castle. Parents, wife, two kids, and 3 siblings 2 brothers and a sister. The story starts during the peace time right after a major war. All cities are still recuparating , the whole war decimated all major civilizations but some survived. His struggle to rule is tough trying to set everything back to normal. He has no experience doing any ruling, typical came out of nothing and in reality he was the savior(still working out the kinks on that). So his family helps him as well as some advisors  from his group that helped him defeat previous evil. Anyways all was going well even though it was a tough job rebuilding. 

Well during a stroll through one of the gardens he gets an urgent message from one of the major cities as to where people were disappearing. There were cracks/gaps in the ground were they were last seen.

well there is this magical dormant evil force that is taking people and replacing them with empty, brainless beings that look and feel like the people they replaced but you can see an emptiness in their eyes. So let's call this force "the emptiness".

well he gets his people together and while discussing the problem there are some "empties" who are part of the guard and they attack during the meeting. They defeat them but now they need to come up of a way to identify these empties and how to defend the people and figure out how to defeat them. Think "zombie apocalypse" after a few days of the emptiness taking over. An "empty" can not infect you but it can turn into clay and take you underground and an empty is born in your place. 

Theres more but I gave all my notes to my younger brother because he was in a creative stage and well I haven't spoken to him in years due to my dad and his mother divorcing. But yeah I need to tweak it more and maybe sit down and type away. Get someone to edit it etc. I'm inspired now let's see if I get on it.

• Love 2

I had two character in the forest rpg!  One that interacted delightfully with Red's characters.

My current story is the ruling emperor is killed by his son. He was an evil dude and the son thought he was saving the world by killing him.  The main character of the novel is his sister, who is left to clean up his mess.  It would be cleaner to have the killer son as the main character, but he's not sane anymore (magic has consequences folks) and I was struggling to write him sympathetically.

• Love 2

That sounds great @Moonhawk. I hope you keep going with it. Maybe start a thread to generate ideas? 

I think you’re right but I can’t remember either. Didn’t you join later? I can look. I kept everything all these years. 

@Lightningfall thank you. Its a shame you didn’t! I’d love to have written with you. It was such a pleasure with everyone here. Stories for RPs are great. A way to explore different ideas. 

@Kenai I still have all your stuff! I like your characters. Especially the tiger. I’d love to see what you’re doing with your current story. 

I’ll post more about mine, more details, when I’m not so tired ¬¬

• Love 1

I had a character in the beginning then life got in the way. We used to chat on MSN messenger about it if I remember correctly.

maybe I will start a thread but I can't commit to anything yet too much work yet to do with establishing my company 

• Love 2

On 9/24/2017 at 10:21 AM, Redly said:

I love to see what everyone else is up to, so share here! 

I'm currently working on (motivating myself to write) a series of novels that actually came out of an RPG I ran on Northlands v1.0, forever ago. In short, it's based in Faerie and digs into all the old Irish pantheon. 

Yes yes yes yes yes. Yes. YES.

Sorry. Excitement. Get this done so we can get it published. (And then book a world-wide book tour. ...and stop at the indie shop here. kthnx!)

Writing. HAH! Ugh. So not something I've been doing. But! I have to write a reading analysis for class this week, and a research paper that I'm nervous and thrilled about, so at least there's something happening, even if it's academic. (The class is The History of Childbirth and Women's Bodies. Because of course it is.) 

That typed, I also have a short personal essay in mind. MAYBE. I mean, it's one of dozens that have never been written. AND a fiction idea I'd had a decade or more ago re-surfaced the other day, with really great character motivation that I'd been missing/vexed about. So there's that. (The essay is relationship-y in nature and the fiction revolves around change and growth as it pertains to a teenager. BUT the character development was in her aunt, who is arguably my favourite character anyway, and why she would end her relationship with a "good man" by cheating on him. I couldn't figure it out. Until now.)

So. If nothing else, at least I'm thinking about writing again. (I mean the essay will happen, because I'll fail the class if it doesn't. The personal essay and/or fiction may not. But...so it goes.... )

• Love 4

@Aliea you had me at Sherlock. There was a book called BeeKeeper's apprentice that I found enjoyable unfortunately when I saw hints of intimacy for Sherlock I became disinterested in the series. But, I still love the suspense in the first book.

I have the unabridged collection I believe and love devouring them when I get the chance though it has been several years since i've read them.

i write mostly fanfics of stories I've read none of them complete or fully started just short unfinished inspired writings.

from Sherlock, The Hollows series, Noblesse the mangwa, 12kingdoms the anime to random imaginings.

i just need to follow through at some point and see where it takes me until then I just write when it bites me and or help with a bash fest session or two with my best friend Sabrana.

• Love 1

I told Autumn a story a few years ago off the top of my head and I've been trying to write it down ever since! I wrote it as a poem, but it didn't really work (I tried to mix styles and it messed it up and it was reallllllly long), so I want to write it as a short story. Other than that I've been writing poems and songs.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

@Squarepeg would it help to just write it out in the forms that it may take as you do so? I mean I have had inspiration moments where it will start off in poem form but change to prose, then brainstorms and back again. Yet, each form of the written work would stand on it's own or together because to make any piece fit the other would change the intention with which it was first created to hold.  If that makes sense at all of course.

7 hours ago, Kethlia said:

@Squarepeg would it help to just write it out in the forms that it may take as you do so? I mean I have had inspiration moments where it will start off in poem form but change to prose, then brainstorms and back again. Yet, each form of the written work would stand on it's own or together because to make any piece fit the other would change the intention with which it was first created to hold.  If that makes sense at all of course.

That makes sense, @Kethlia. I do write down some things as they come to me, but it's all very jumbled and it just seems to make it more confusing! 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Try free writing. It loosens everything up. You literally set a timer for 5/10/15 minutes, stick pen to paper/fingers to keys and write/type for that time, with no breaks or pauses. Literally whatever comes to mind. No grammar, punctuation, etc. 

Its an interesting exercise to just get your head a bit clearer, but also works well if you’re trying to get a story out. 

P.S. it’s good to see you again @Squarepeg

• Love 2

12 hours ago, Kethlia said:

@Redly Love it! Can we put this into a forum where it can be used at will instead of a blog unless there is a away to create an open blog for people to post their attempts and encourage others on their own tries?

Do you mean the results of people's free-writing? 

• Like 1