Kenai

chapter length

4 posts in this topic

How long do you prefer your chapters to be?  I'm at a point where the breaks I have so far it makes sense to have three chapters, but the word count is lower for the second chapter than I'd like.

In my opinion, it depends on how you want the whole story to be.  For example, in GoT, they do chapter breaks when they change characters.  In other books they do chapter breaks when they changes scenes.  

I personally feel that the chapter break should feel natural to the writer.  If it feels natural to the writer, it will usually feel right to the reader.  Word count, paragraph count doesn't usually matter because sometimes a section sometimes need more words or paragraphs to get out what needs to be said, sometimes you need fewer.

This is just my opinion.  I'd love to know what others think.

• Like 1

Agree with @Timberwolf I like those books that have irregular chapter lengths.  Sometimes long, sometimes short.  Varies the momentum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am use to breaks appearing between both scene changes and character pov’s for example The Count of Monte Cristo.  Though you know the focus is in the count.  There are breaks in the story that happen according to a character change or when a scene explains his past in more detail before coming back to the present.

Then there are the Sherlock Holmes stories where each case is a separate chapter unless one case leads right into the next. It very rarely shifts from Holmes or to other sub characters.

Edited by Kethlia
  • Like 1