Songmistress's 'Radio'

Songmistress

I figure I should settle in and make myself comfy. The Wolf and The Goddess would expect me to be the first to post in this forum; I would not wish to disappoint either of them.

For those of you who don't know, I am (out there in the real world) a professional singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist, a recording artist and performer; I'm a solo artist, as well as being part of a band. I am really not tooting my own horn here, because that is not one of the intruments I play.  xD

What I want to do with this thread is to make a place where I can share with you some great music from lesser known independent artists you may not be aware of, but are very worth the knowing and the listening to.   Yeah, I'll probably post a link or two to my own stuff from time to time, but don't worry; I'm not making this about me. There will be lots of variety and I hope you'll stay tuned in and, hopefully, find some new faves among my fellow indie artists. 

I will start with the incredible Siobhan Mazzei and her song 'Courage of Your Convictions'.  https://siobhanmazzei.bandcamp.com/track/courage-of-your-convictions

• Love 3

21 hours ago, hirondelle said:

Oo I like it - and so true, though touching screens isn't all bad ;)

Also enjoyed the video - I want to know what the city was the arial footage was of.  Parts of it looked like HK but other parts (higher up, with the circles) didn't.

Mr. Jones has all his videos made by Lunchy Media, who do really good quality lyric videos.  I can't answer your question about what the city is, however.

Stevie Jones and The Wildfires are an excellent example of the superb talent that resides in the East Midlands, UK. They are an incredible band to see live. I have had the honour of playing keys for them, and the stage is simply electric when they play. Their debut album, Stratigraphic Heart, is well worth the listening to, and the NEW album, 'Angels and Sirens' - which will be soft released in November and internationally released next year, is brilliant from both a musical and lyrical standpoint (yes, I have gotten to hear it early...I'm special like that...also, I feature on the album^_^).  They are on all the social media, etc...so, if you like them, please do give them a follow. And, if you ever have the chance to catch them live, do so!!!

Today, I offer you a wordsmith, a clever guitarist, and one of the most wonderful guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting: Andy Griffiths (not to be confused with American actor Andy Griffith...who also played the guitar and sang, but, I digress). I am amazingly lucky to know this guy and be considered his friend. I have shared a vape with this man as we stood outside a raucous Irish pub, regaling each other with how we both really need to pick our gigs a lot better and that we needed to write a book in order to 'encourage' young independent artists titled 'Just Don't'. xD  Andy is a kindred spirit. So, yeah, I might be a little biased here, but he IS truly an artist of immense talent.  I give you, with no more ado, a track from his new album 'Big Red Monster', this is Andy Griffiths and 'Liar's Hymn'. :x

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

This is another good one.

Of course it is. I have excellent taste. ^_^

Another interesting fact about Stevie Jones, who I posted day before yesterday, is that, not only is he a brilliant musician and songwriter, he has the coolest 'day job' ever. The man is an archaeologist.  So, when he's not doing music, he is to be found in the field, trowel in hand, digging up old kings and stuff (he was one of the archaeologists who found King Richard under the carpark in Leicester). Stevie IS the awesome.

Now. Some music is almost too achingly beautiful to hear. Some musicians remind us of what music really is. With technical grace, Melanie Page creates pure magic with her classical guitar (which she plays the classical way) and a voice so piercing and haunting, there is no where to hide. She leaves you bare and vulnerable and, where her music touches, nothing is ever the same again. I have never once seen her perform where jaws didn't drop, or where people weren't arrested where they stood or sat, nearly unable to breathe for the overwhelming power this woman commands on a stage. And, she does it without hype or gimmick. It's simply her and her classical guitar.

Music, at it's best, is where science and magic meet. A pinpoint of perfect light. Melanie Page is a Magician whose science can penetrate the hardest heart, and remind us all what true talent is. 

I give you my beloved friend and collegue, Melanie Page and her track 'Upon The Wild' which was featured on BBC's Introducing Radio Show.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 26/09/2017 at 4:03 PM, Songmistress said:

Today, I offer you a wordsmith, a clever guitarist, and one of the most wonderful guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting: Andy Griffiths (not to be confused with American actor Andy Griffith...who also played the guitar and sang, but, I digress). I am amazingly lucky to know this guy and be considered his friend. I have shared a vape with this man as we stood outside a raucous Irish pub, regaling each other with how we both really need to pick our gigs a lot better and that we needed to write a book in order to 'encourage' young independent artists titled 'Just Don't'. xD  Andy is a kindred spirit. So, yeah, I might be a little biased here, but he IS truly an artist of immense talent.  I give you, with no more ado, a track from his new album 'Big Red Monster', this is Andy Griffiths and 'Liar's Hymn'. :x

Getting caught on ma music (busy week) I loved this one. He has a pleasantly sibilant and... detailed voice. I know you generally don't like it when I compare people to other people but I don't have the vocabulary to articulate my feelings without referncing other musicians. When he sings it sounds like his is singing to me... a quality of the tone and lyrics that reminded me of Chris Rea. Different style of voice but similar intimate tone. Like bedroom eyes, but vocally.

On 30/09/2017 at 8:28 AM, hirondelle said:

Getting caught on ma music (busy week) I loved this one. He has a pleasantly sibilant and... detailed voice. I know you generally don't like it when I compare people to other people but I don't have the vocabulary to articulate my feelings without referncing other musicians. When he sings it sounds like his is singing to me... a quality of the tone and lyrics that reminded me of Chris Rea. Different style of voice but similar intimate tone. Like bedroom eyes, but vocally.

Yes!  That's Andy. He IS the vocal equivilent of bedroom eyes. ^_^ I can't wait to tell him the next time I see him.  I was supposed to go see him live yesterday, but I was too ill to make it. @Squarepeg went in my stead.

Hmmm, if there's a 'Northland's Radio Station' now...  mayhap I should change the name of this thread. Something like 'Songmistress's Indie Showcase'.  Or, 'Songmistress's Best of British Indie'....   oh, where's that poll option?  I could have a few choices of what to re-name this and people (the 3 that are actually interested in this thread) could vote. NO!  This is NOT a fucking democracy, and I'm too ill to find the poll option anyway.  If @hirondelle or @Timberwolf could, please, just rename the thread 'Songmistress's Best Of British Indie', that would be fab. Thank you muchly.

Now, I'm going to collapse back into bed and you can listen to the brilliant Kenneth J. Nash...because he is pretty much the epitome of the best of British indie.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, fantasymom said:

I'm really liking British Indie!!!  Thanks @Songmistress

Thank YOU, @fantasymom. Glad you're enjoying these exceptional artists.

I hope everyone who comes and listens here, and if they like anything they hear, will go and visit these folks' webpages and facebook pages and youtube channels and like and subscribe, etc.

Today, I have something special for you. I heard this band last year when they came to perform at The Loughborough Acoustic Club as the special guests, and I was immediately and forever entranced.  I give you the magnificent Oka Vanga and Song of the Dell.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is another good one. Really enjoyed it. Suggest though, if you want people to go to their web pages and Facebook pages, feel free to link them. Yes, we can follow your Soundcloud and YouTube links to their SoundCloud and YouTube, but not their websites and Facebook. 

Im loving these. I can’t wait for the next one. 

The intimacy with which this songwriter writes can oftentimes be exquisitely painful. But, regardless, it is exquisitely beautiful. The glimpses he gives of the reality of an unbearable pain he packages in these silver-breathed wrappers of intricate finger-picked guitar and very emotive lyrics.

I give you no man's heath and A Hundred Imaginary Conversations.

Tonight, I give you a magical collaborative effort from Simon Waldram and Emzae. Simon is from Nottingham. Emzae is from Derby. They are both singer/songwriters and have solo albums available via bandcamp, but they also perform and - in this case - record together. This is one of the most beautiful fruit that has come from that collaboration. I give you 'Resenah'.

• Like 1

:music:This is some awesome stuff.  I'm loving it.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:44 PM, Songmistress said:

The intimacy with which this songwriter writes can oftentimes be exquisitely painful. But, regardless, it is exquisitely beautiful. The glimpses he gives of the reality of an unbearable pain he packages in these silver-breathed wrappers of intricate finger-picked guitar and very emotive lyrics.

I give you no man's heath and A Hundred Imaginary Conversations.

I'm not sure what you were trying to link, but it doesn't seem to have come through.  :(