Historical Drama

Squarepeg

Last night @Songmistress and I watched Gunpowder, a historical drama based upon the events that lead up to the attempted assassination of King James I during the opening of Parliament in November 1605. It starred (and was produced and created by) Kit Harrington as Robert Catesby, the instigator of the plot,  Mark Gatiss as Robert Cecil, the then Secretary of State, and Lyv Tyler as Catesby's cousin. The events became known as the Gunpowder Plot and is the reason behind the tradition of Bonfire Night here in the UK every 5th November. It's also known as Guy Fawkes Night, because he was caught beneath the Houses of Parliament with 6000 pounds of gunpowder ready to light the fuse that would blow King James and his entire government to oblivion. He was obviously tortured and executed for his part in the scheme. Anyway, the point of this post is to say it was bloody brilliant and you should watch it if you get the chance. It is quite gory in places, though. Also, what are your favourite historical dramas? Do you watch them? If you don't, why not? Curious minds want to know. Well, my curious mind does.

• Like 1