Songmistress

So, am I the only one here...

4 posts in this topic

... who is still a book purist? The only one without a Kindle (and who doesn't ever want one)? The only one who still requires her pages be paper and her words be ink? To feel. To smell. To nearly taste. Reading for me is visceral. Books hold magic. Technology is great, but Tolkien would weep to see his books read on a cold, flavourless, magicless screen. I love tech. But, I have no place for it when it comes to my books. When it comes to the telling of stories in the written word, the printing press is as modern as I get. But, I know I am not among a majority here. I just wondered if I'm the ONLY one here (other than @Squarepeg, that is - I know he's as anti e-reader as I am).  

• Like 1

Sadly I am not on your team, I love reading but I prefer not having to do books now, I like reading on my phone when I can switch the backgroud to back with white text, I like the fact the bookmark is automatic... 

And one of my GREAT joys is reading in the bath. Bath has to be SOOO hot, not pop your toes in and they feel melty but sit in the bath and gradually increase the temp as ytour body gets used to it and then hotter again, wait and then hotter again. By the time I get out the water is still hot enough for my partner to have a bath... This tends to be steamy and wrinkles my book pages... I don't care enough about my kindle's safely to mind taking it in

I preferred books until recently I tried reading a large paperback and found it surprisingly difficult with my neuro problems. I pretty much have to do screens now. I have a large phone but I've thought about getting a super lightweight e-reader. The bath idea sounds great, too. I wouldn't even consider getting my phone near the hot tub, but a cheaper device, sure.

I love books, but I don't have the luxury of space for them and hate having to sell them / give them away. So ebooks are a godsend for me.  Also much easier to carry around, read on my commute etc.  Additionally in most cases the kindle version is cheaper and I don't have to pay shipping. And finally purchase / delivery is instant so you can go from - hmm I fancy reading X to actually reading X in seconds rather than having to schedule a trip to Waterstones.