Goals

fox

ON THAT NOTE. (Thank you for posting your outstanding achievement (unlocked), @Kenai. It made me create a(nother) thread. Because I like to create threads.)

What are your (physical) health and fitness goals?

I have also hit a goal weight (through changes in eating habits and increased movement...and maybe a LITTLE bit because of depression. But mostly the first two), and now I want to get back into a schedule of at least three days a week at the gym (I go at lunch - my facility is on campus). I have some help lined up to learn how to use strength machines, because I have cardio under control and almost literally no idea how to use/incorporate strength training (though I understand exactly how important it is in overall health and fitness to pair with cardio). Also, we had a vet appointment this weekend and the dog has lost weight (she was meant to), which means our walking schedule is on point. w00t.

Edited by fox
  • Love 4

I don't have a goal weight, but I do have the goal of getting my weight down and cardio back up so I can start playing ultimate again. I mean, I could go out and play now, but the spare tire I carry around attached to my (theoretical) six pack would probably keep me from being able to play at the mediocre level I'm accustomed to achieving.

The physical activity isn't so much the problem; I tend to work outside and my Fitbit puts me as usually having walked 8-12 miles on those days (I need to figure out if I can set the thing so that it starts counting steps when I wake up and not resetting at midnight everyday so that I have a more accurate count of steps for the time from when I wake to when I take it off). A fair amount of that time involves pushing or pulling heavy loads. It isn't running, though, which I need to start doing (for cardio and reasons related to physical issues I've had with my legs in recent years). 

The biggest factor, unfortunately, is that I eat like a garbage can that grew appendages. I'm not real big on fruits and vegetables, which I need to fix, and tend towards processed junk rather than anything I have to cook myself due to fatigue from all the walking and moving of heavy stuff and more often than not getting off work around 1:15am. It's... problematic. 

As always, things are a work in progress. 

As an unrelated sidenote: hey there, @fox How goes the frozen tundra?

Edited by Spyder
  • Love 3

5 hours ago, Spyder said:

I don't have a goal weight, but I do have the goal of getting my weight down and cardio back up so I can start playing ultimate again. I mean, I could go out and play now, but the spare tire I carry around attached to my (theoretical) six pack would probably keep me from being able to play at the mediocre level I'm accustomed to achieving.

The physical activity isn't so much the problem; I tend to work outside and my Fitbit puts me as usually having walked 8-12 miles on those days (I need to figure out if I can set the thing so that it starts counting steps when I wake up and not resetting at midnight everyday so that I have a more accurate count of steps for the time from when I wake to when I take it off). A fair amount of that time involves pushing or pulling heavy loads. It isn't running, though, which I need to start doing (for cardio and reasons related to physical issues I've had with my legs in recent years). 

The biggest factor, unfortunately, is that I eat like a garbage can that grew appendages. I'm not real big on fruits and vegetables, which I need to fix, and tend towards processed junk rather than anything I have to cook myself due to fatigue from all the walking and moving of heavy stuff and more often than not getting off work around 1:15am. It's... problematic. 

As always, things are a work in progress. 

As an unrelated sidenote: hey there, @fox How goes the frozen tundra?

I think it's a baby steps game. Like. Not patronizing. I fucking LOVE (to a point of eat-it-every-day fault) ice cream. So I stopped buying it. (Mostly. I still SOMETIMES have it, but I keep it in the deep freeze downstairs.) But I feel you. I vastly prefer junk-y not-good-for-me food. But. I also have to cook and prepare food for one big and two small monsters. So. Good food it is! (It helps that the littler ones both have to bring lunch to care. I make my lunch at the same time, and that almost always works for me for staying on track. Almost. SOMETIMES I go out. For deep fried food.) Anyway. I digress. I think the want to change it and the understanding that it's fucking hard is a good first step, actually. It's not a flip of the switch, especially when food is an issue. It's hard. And you'll get there. Because Ultimate.

Also hi @Spyder^_^ It goes. Not so frozen yet. We're meant to get to 66F today, in almost October, so it's not terrible. How're you? Catch me up! <3

• Love 3

My main goal isn't a weight target. I'm actually technically underweight, by a few kilos. I currently weigh 47kgs (about 105 lbs I think) but it's actually under the weight I should be (I get nagged A LOT by a friend who accused me of being anorexic - apparently we have an honest friendship...). 

However, despite being underweight, I struggle to put weight on. I don't eat the most healthy diet, but neither do I stuff my face. I try to make sensible choices, so I cut out soft drinks and gummy sweets (I don't miss Haribo as much as I could). I stopped putting sugar in hot drinks. Mostly for my teeth. But, I generally get accused of just being lucky - which I recognise, but putting weight ON can sometimes be a struggle, too. 

Add to that an unhealthy psychological relationship with health and food and a hiatus hernia that requires me to take daily medication to prevent heartburn, and I'm a bundle of fun :D

So my main goal is this: be healthy and enjoy it. 

This includes diet and exercise. I have never been a great lover of sport (I avoided cross country like the plague), but I LOVE yoga. And horse riding, but that requires a lot more planning, money and time. I want to do it every day, even just a sun salutation or quick series of poses, but find that I haven't been. I fell out of practice. 

Diet-wise, I agree with @fox. Small changes are the best. I swapped fried eggs for poached eggs, fried bacon for baked bacon, to let me have bacon, egg and chips (sweet potato fries) and not feel so guilty. It's not great, but it's a bit better. I swapped crisps for popcorn, or fruit and nuts. I swapped tea with milk for herbal tea (matcha green tea - where have you been all my life?). 

I also started drinking water infused with lemon and ginger. My immune system is ridiculously awesome now :D (touch wood!) 

• Love 3

I loved yoga, and I do recommend it for people, I just struggle with a lot of the mentality that I have seen in yoga, which I really became aware of while I was on my teacher training course, one of the things they constantly stressed that it wasn't about the pose, but of all the instructors I know and have met and seen, they constantly make it about the pose.  I just found it a bit hypocritical.  That being said, when I was studying karate, I instituted some yoga postures into the warm up at the beginning of the class which my Sensei added to the class.  Yoga is a good thing for mind and body as long as you don't make it about the pose.  Be aware of your body and what it can do.  Push your body, but push it to the extremes.  Take it a step at a time.  :) 

• Love 2

That’s what I like about yoga. It isn’t just about the fitness aspect. I’m trying to improve my physical and mental health (I’ll be posting on that later when I can make some time) and yoga is a great way to combine them for me. It just fits with me. Because I’m doing it all at home, i get the time to explore and push with hurting. I’ll look to going to a class later. When I’m more confident! 

I know what you mean about the hypocracy though. I find the diversity of yoga is great but can also be its downfall. It has become very westernised, I suppose. 

• Love 2

I would like to try yoga just to work on my poor flexibility. The last time I think I could be defined as anything close to limber was the 90's, and even then it was being generous.

@fox I'm good! A little disappointed it's still nice in Canada, but whatever. Everything's pretty good here. Summer was a little wimpy, but I forebear. 

Edited by Spyder
  • Love 2

Goal weight. .....level badass!

I don't so much care what the scale says as long as my clothing size keeps getting smaller. I've been working on losing my belly weight for years now. It's so easy to gain weight but the pesky thing just won't go away when you decide to get rid of it.  I work out daily.  I do an hour or so of heavy weights then I do some cardio. I love working out!

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

My new goal is to be more active.  My phone has a step tracker. I've been using that to help motivate me to be on my feet more.  The CDC says bare minimum of steps is 7k.  Right now I'm at 1.5k and its still morning so I'm somewhat hopeful of getting close to the 7k.

• Love 4

9 hours ago, Kenai said:

My new goal is to be more active.  My phone has a step tracker. I've been using that to help motivate me to be on my feet more.  The CDC says bare minimum of steps is 7k.  Right now I'm at 1.5k and its still morning so I'm somewhat hopeful of getting close to the 7k.

YES! I love my step tracker thingamawhatsit. It's helpful. Being active is my thing, too. Yes yes. I want to be strong and capable of chasing two small humans. :D 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Except for getting my weight down to have less pain and be more active. I want to start learning about survival.  I want to know knots, how to start a fire, be water wise and know how to hunt for food.  The more society goes away from the true basics to being here on Earth the more wary I become of following society. I love the advances or resurrection of technology but a part of me is saying Don't Forget the Basics.

So we'll see my partner and I have permanent waiver for a paintball area close to us to start being active more we just have to wait on the cost part a little longer.  It's not Survival but it is tatics, teamwork and self reliance with cardio.