What are you reading at the moment?

hirondelle

14 hours ago, Kethlia said:

One that found in a garage sell. 

Though a young adult series I love them.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/63387-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-queen

Whoa whoa whoa - I TOTALLY REMEMBER THOSE! OMG. ^_^ Awh. @Kethlia! Thank you for that blast from the past! :x (I loved those books. I was actually thinking about them the other year, but no Google search gave me anything, because I could remember virtually nothing of the story. So cool!)

• Love 2

On 28/09/2017 at 5:28 AM, Rapture said:

There there red 

But. Stephen fry is awesome. 

I must say, Kindle’s Whispersync with Audible is like black magic. It makes my life so much easier to get through a book! 

I just finished the second part of the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I enjoyed those immensely and am rather peeved that he’s done what some other unmentionable bloody fantasy authors have done and spent YEARS writing the final book! Ugh! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rapture said:

I've never listened to an audio book. Don't know how my brain would handle that. I usually listen to tunes and some out while I read

I didn't think I'd take to Audiobooks well at all. I tend to be doing stuff while listening to them and lose concentration. However, I got a free book, so downloaded one that just had me completely hooked. I now own about 20-30 and get a new one every month. I like Audible because it syncs seamlessly across devices. 

Absolutely my favourite audiobook is Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. One of the best books I've ever experienced, but the narration takes it to the next level. I'm not even sure I want to read the book. I'm scared it will feel flat comparatively. It was so good, my Mum refused to get out of the car on a long road trip until the chapter ended, and then made any excuse to get into the car to listen to it. 

Audiobooks can be fickle though - you've got to get a good narrator, otherwise it ruins it. I've downloaded one and the narrator sounded like an automated reading app. It was terrible and I didn't even get into the second chapter. Ruined. But if you get a good narrator (like Stephen Fry... Just saying), then it brings it alive. 

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, Timberwolf said:

Currently, I'm reading The Final Empire: Mistborn Book 1 by Brandon Sanderson, and I'm loving it1  I've also recently started the Dresden Files, which I've enjoyed so far.  

Both great series, @Timberwolf!  I approve.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:32 AM, Redly said:

@Timberwolf me too! And, good god, the amount I’ve gone through. In a way, audio books can be better than reading books because the narrators can be so good and bring extra life to it. For example, the Angelmaker, Nick Harkaway, comes to life when narrated in a way the book doesn’t. 

Some narrators are awful though. Some of the best audio books though? Harry Potter narrated by Stephen Fry. Oh god yes. 

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:34 AM, Timberwolf said:

I loved when an R.A. Salvatore book was read by Iced-T.  that was pretty cool. xD 

Alright, so I have to say that I absolutely love audiobooks.  I listened to the Dresden Files, all read by James Marsters.  That's right, Spike from Buffy.  My absolute favorite, though, are by Graphic Audio, they do full cast, full sound effects.  Their slogan is "Graphic Audio: A movie in your mind," and it holds true for their work.  If you've never listened to one, I highly recommend them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lightningfall said:

Both great series, @Timberwolf!  I approve.

Alright, so I have to say that I absolutely love audiobooks.  I listened to the Dresden Files, all read by James Marsters.  That's right, Spike from Buffy.  My absolute favorite, though, are by Graphic Audio, they do full cast, full sound effects.  Their slogan is "Graphic Audio: A movie in your mind," and it holds true for their work.  If you've never listened to one, I highly recommend them.

Oh, that sounds cool.  I'll have to check them out.  :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lightningfall said:

It really is, @Timberwolf.

I must say, BBC Radio 4 do something similar occasionally with books. They did a dramatic reading of my favourite book, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman a few years back. It starred quite a few people including James McAvoy, Natalie Dormer and Benedict Cumberbatch. It was brilliant. Not an audio book but all the dialogue and order of the book was perfect. They didn’t abridge or add sections. 

They’ve also done Good Omens by Gaiman again and Terry Pratchett. That was brilliant too. 

• Like 2

On 26/09/2017 at 1:11 AM, Druss said:

Burning Bright (Star Justice 5) by Michael Scott Earle.

As the direction story of this book was irritating me and the newest book in the series has just been released I reread The Black Planet (Steve Gordon series book 2) by J W Murison

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

I just finished Mistborn: The Final Empire, book 1. I really enjoyed this. I’m looking forward to reading the second book. 

I really liked The Final Empire trilogy, Dom, but I loved the next book, called The Alloy of Law.  I think that you'll really enjoy that one and the others in that second series.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 3:27 PM, Kethlia said:

When I need to stay up for 24hrs to reset my clock I take up the trilogy in one book called the Black Jewel series. There is more to this serious but I love these three books.

OMG... These books are seriously, some of my favorite ever. Very first time i read them (years and years and years ago) I cried at the end. I've picked up all her other books since then, but Black Jewels has my heart.

On 9/27/2017 at 8:15 PM, hirondelle said:

Urgh no, his voice is dripping with pretentious smuggery :roffles:

'pretentious smuggery' is possibly my new favorite phrase of the day :3

Currently reading:  Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami (E-book borrowed from the library so i can read in browser at work)

I've been a fan of Murakami for some 10 odd  years now, but really loving this book so far...I probably identify far too much with Tsukuru though

Eye of the World (Ebook on my phone, also while i 'work'. I think it might be time to finally finish the series, so I have to start at the beginning)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cyrain said:

OMG... These books are seriously, some of my favorite ever. Very first time i read them (years and years and years ago) I cried at the end. I've picked up all her other books since then, but Black Jewels has my heart.

I have been avoiding the rest because some sequels become less than stellar. Does she do her trilogy  justice with her series?

Also read The Otori series starting with the Across the nightingale floor.

Edited by Kethlia