New writing project - who is with me?

hirondelle

Hi all,

I have signed up for a writing thing - it is a Daily Om course and it is called

A Year of Writing to Uncover the Authentic Self

It looks pretty cool and there is a theme / prompt every week. So fifty two  themes in all.

Here is the intro:

Lesson 1: Introduction

s5-image-readytoprogram-Intro_WhyTakeThi

Our memories are what shapes who we are. Truly, is there anything about yourself that hasn't been shaped by your past? This is why it's so beneficial to explore memories, events, and relationships of the past. They can reveal so much about who we really are and why we became that way. Armed with this information, we can decide whether we love the outcomes or if we'd like to make changes, and perhaps end up transformed in beautiful ways -- a more deliberate and conscious soul.

Things to be aware of while exploring your history:

• Memory is a tricky thing. Some people remember in vivid detail, while others remember events as more of an overall feeling they came away with, or you may be somewhere in the middle. Honor your memories, no matter how they come to you.
  • People and events will slowly come alive in your mind. You may begin to hear, smell, taste, and feel them as if they were right there with you, happening all over again. With this can come immense joy or intense pain. Go as slowly as you need and be mindful of self-care -- even seeking professional help if needed.
  • Your memories can change. We often think of our memories as the definitive way that something happened, but often they can be influenced by the way we wanted them to happen. As you delve into details you may discover that your perspective has changed. Was Rick really as smart as I always thought? Did Bev -- the most popular girl in school -- truly have it as easy as I imagined? Examine the evidence and see if your memories still hold up. I'd bet some of them are even more interesting with the hindsight and knowledge you possess now.
  • Your story will inevitably change. As you examine your life and beliefs, your compassion and understanding of yourself will grow. You will discover silver linings in some of the memories you'd only thought of as negative before. Maybe you always considered something in your life a failure, but after putting it in the perspective of your whole life, it may have been a blessing after all.
  • As you write, you will discover so much about your current life. This "bird's eye view" of your past and inner wisdom can crystallize patterns you've never noticed before. This can help break the cycle of negative behaviors, or perhaps lead you to discover a new passion you've been making tiny steps toward all along.
  •  

These are only some of the obstacles and benefits of taking a deep dive into the past, but one thing is for certain...

...everyone has a story to tell.

My wish is to assist you in developing greater self-expression by providing the tools and inspiration you need to uncover your unique voice. Each weekly topic has been carefully curated to guide you through small, but powerful journeys into your past -- and more importantly, into your inner wisdom -- to reveal a fuller, richer understanding of yourself.

As you work through the lessons, you may find life unfolding in new and interesting ways. Don't be surprised if you unearth thoughts that make you want to take action in other areas of your life. You might discover strengths you didn't even know were there, or find lost parts of yourself you'd like to bring back to life, or often, new passions and interests will emerge.

But most importantly, you will tell your story.

Prepare for the exciting journey ahead:

• Try to carve out time each week that will allow you to really dive into each theme. We all have different ways of processing information and different subjects will require varying time and attention. As you move through the course, you'll discover more about the amount of time you may need to set aside each week, but try not to be too rigid with this either. Some weeks the words may pour out of you in ten minutes, and others you may wish to dedicate time over a few days to explore more slowly. Both of these ways work beautifully, so please do not set too many expectations on your method.
  • Decide what format you'd like to write in -- whether it be on a computer or tablet, in a gorgeous journal, or perhaps you'd like to dictate into a voice recorder. This course also provides text boxes at the end of each lesson where you can do your writing. Anything you write will be saved and confidential.
  • If you feel inspired, begin jotting down ideas. Start thinking about events or relationships you wish to explore. As you move through the weekly prompts, refer back to this list, especially in the weeks you may feel a little slow in getting started. Keep adding to the list throughout the year -- there will most certainly be prompts that will bring multiple thoughts to the surface.

All the best and happy writing.

• Love 2

Ohhh. Yes. I'm interested. A) I need to make a routine of regular writing, B) I really want to explore creative non-fiction and this could help, and C) I have Some Shit to work through and this might be a good opportunity to tackle it at a different (non "just" journal angle). I won't make lofty promises, but I will commit to trying. Thank you for inviting me.

• Love 2

Great @fox. For me the only writing I do is journaling these days so I'm hopeful I will find it easier than creative writing tasks. Also I fully expect people to skip weeks and as some of the writing we do might be deeply personal so we may not choose to share what we have written every week. But as long as we show up more often than we don't it should work. 😁

• Love 2

I’m looking forward to this. I’m hoping this will get me into the habit of writing regularly. I have so many stories in my head that I want to put to (digital) paper, and I have a story that I want to put to a screen play, and I think that sitting and writing something every week will get me into the habit of writing again. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...